Monday, January 24, 2011

Cara's Modern French-inspired Condo

Cara and I are so alike but are very distinct in many ways.

This is her:
Photo from Tory Burch






and this is me:
Photo from Kate Spade













This is her:


Photo from Tory Burch










and this is me:
Photo from Tory Burch







So last week we were talking about her and her husband's newly-purchased unit at Rockwell, and their plans of decorating it into something different from her usual, favorite clean and sometimes, Asian look. 

In Interior Design, this is her:










And this is me:
Photo from Houzz.com











But she's decided to take a break from the Asian look for this new condo that she and her husband, Leon, purchased late last year. She's leaving plain and boring behind for a girly-er, fluffier look. 
Their condo's style will be a kind of Moderny French..clean lines and a pop of European accent  (Damask prints here, nice French window detailing there, but really more Carla Bruni than Marie Antoinette).

So I asked her to show me photos that she will be giving her designer, and here are a few of the pegs:



Neutral colors off-set by the plum-colored tufted long-john and ceramic turquoise stools--these are so her, if you ask me. There's still that hint of Asianness in this design.






She likes the unexpected spattering of Zebra print here--this is not exactly French, but it makes a good finish to an otherwise uneventful backdrop.



Clean lines, again--but pay attention to the moulding detail on the ceiling, then thesoft sofas and fluffy, colorful flower arrangements that give balance to the clean and masculine shelves, fireplace and coffee table

Do you notice how this can be so French-Asian-Art Deco? 





 Subtle Chinese-inspired accents

I have always been an American-home kind of person; never appreciated the boringness of "Asian," and have never really considered going French--that's probably because it isn't a popular choice in Manila. Everyone here is going Spanish, Japanese or Filipino. I think, though, that more people should go for a good, snobby and updated French look. 


Will be sure to post photos of their place once the unit is done! :) 







10 comments:

  1. Im in love with the pegs, especially the yellow backdrop with zebra print. Chinoiserie style has always been my favorite! I also absolutely love the chairs in the last peg.

    Would it kill you to know that I am adding another buddha to my home? Getting it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Buddha??? How many do you need? But I really like the pink one at your foyer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more sophisticated tastes. Then maybe, I'd get into the French. As it is, my tastes remain pedestrian and local: Asian. :)

    Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning condo! I really love it. Wish I can also have that kind of beautiful condo unit someday. It is really inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    -pia-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this Subtle Chinese-inspired accents, It gives me an idea what to do in my house.

    houses for sale philippines

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lovely interior designs you have posted in here. Wish my place is one of those. :)

    Clyde W

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read nice information on your site. Simple to understand and helpful. We will look forward for your future updates. I will visit here very often.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm planning to redecorate my Cubao condo and I got some ideas from your post. Thanks for sharing though, excited to see the unit of your friend.

    ReplyDelete